Monday, September 22, 2008

autumnal equinox

today is the the first day of autumn. this is my absolute favorite time of year! there was a crisp, autumn feel in the air outside as the kids and i played this afternoon. there have been changes in our garden as the big, leafy vines wither away leaving bright orange pumpkins and deep green acorn squash out in the open.

i posted this photo of my front window view last year. the fall trees in our neighborhood are breathtaking, but only for a short time, then they are bare until spring.

autumn brings apple bobbing,


pumpking carving,


and these colorful tights that have been tucked in the top drawer for weeks, waiting for the temperature to dip so they could come out and keep little legs warm while at play.


i am really looking forward to the season ahead. knitting projects, lattes, costumes, boots and jeans and holiday preparations.
yours this beautiful autumn afternoon,
erika
join the welcome autumn party at the polka dot cottage!

3 comments:

Quiet City said...

LOVE the photos! It's my favorite time of year as well and I hope you find tons of comfort and enjoyment in it again this year.

nikki/WhiMSy love said...

Oh. My. Gosh.---That view of those trees is breathtaking!! Beautiful!!!
And yes---bobbing for apples! I haven't done that since I was a kid. (I'm writing that down on my "Fall To-Do List")
I agree---I've got those fun tights waiting to come out too!
Happy Autumn!

Lisa Clarke said...

I want tights like that for me, lol! How cool that you have pumpkins! And, wow, the leaves on that tree are positively breathtaking. I am so in the mood for some leaf peeping right now!