Sunday, June 16, 2013

water kefir*welcome to my living kitchen

 This is the newest addition to my fermenting kitchen - water kefir.
(Those jars in the background have kombucha in them and that one on the right has four (!!) SCOBYs in it, each approximately 1 inch thick. If you are local and need a kombucha starter, hit me up!)

 This is what water kefir grains look like. Little gelatinous pearls.
 


 Making water kefir is pretty simple. And quick! Mine was ready to bottle in just 48 hours. The first thing you will need to get started are the grains. If you have a friend who makes kefir they can probably share with you because just like my SCOBYs above kefir grains also multiply each time you use them. If you can't find them through a friend you can order them from various places online. Cultures for Health is always a good source for such things.
 
Here is the process I followed ::
I filled my glass jar with 5 cups of warm, filtered water (just warm enough to dissolve the other ingredients).
Then I added 1/3 cup raw sugar and 1 tsp unsulphered, organic molasses. I also added 1 tsp of baking soda as I read that the minerals are good for the grains and it can also result in a fizzier kefir.
Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is dissolved.
Pour your grains into the mixture once it is room temp - you will need 1/3-1/2 cup of grains.
after a day or so little carbonation bubbles would float to the top of my jar when I moved it. On day 2 it was very fizzy.
 
I bottled and flavored it much like I do my kombucha. I added some pineapple juice that I had on hand and will let it sit out at room temperature for a couple days before I refrigerate and drink it.
 
Then I mixed up more water and started a brand hew batch. This time I am going to add vanilla and try to replicate cream soda! I will keep you all posted on how it turns out, friends!
 

No comments: