Thursday, December 06, 2007

unexpected lessons

i had a unwanted break from my computer this week due to some internet problems. for three days i was not able to log on. it was very frustrating and all i could think about was my etsy shop that needed to be checked in on and my online friends that were chatting away without me and of course my blog. after the first afternoon i realized what a big part of my day and life the internet is. i decided this was a sign that i have been spending too much time browsing websites and blogs and online forums and neglecting other things around me. i also decided that i would listen to this message and not think about the computer again. this was monday.
tuesday i turned on the tv to watch oprah and the topic of the show was how would you spend one more day? author mitch albom was on the show talking about his book One More Day. i have read a couple of his books in the past and thought that i would have to look for this one the next time i was at the bookstore~ or add it to my christmas wish list! it was the next segment of the show that made a big impact on me. the next guest was the widow of richard carlson, the author of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. richard died suddenly from a pulmonary embolism at age 45 in 2006. during his 25-year relationship with his wife kris, richard wrote hundreds of love letters to her. one which particularly had special meaning to her was the one he wrote for their 18th anniversary. it was everything he would say in his last hour of life. she turned that special letter into an inspirational book called An Hour to Live, An Hour to Love. here is a small part of that letter:
"If I had an hour to live, I'll tell you who I wouldn't call," Richard wrote. "I wouldn't call my financial planner, my banker or my CPA. I wouldn't be checking my voice mail, my e-mail or my Palm Pilot. … No, if I had an hour to live and I could make one phone call, it would be to my life partner, Kris"
this was so meaningful to me. really, what matters the most at the end of the day? for me it is my family and my loved ones. it is all the little hugs and kisses i recieved throughout the day. it is being a mommy, and a wife, and a friend.
today the internet problem is resolved. instead of pouring over the 100+ e-mails in my inbox i went thrift store shopping with tony and the kids. imagine my excitment when i found a hardback copy of One More Day by mitch albom on the shelf at saver's for just $3.99. i told you, it was a sign...

No comments: